Thursday, January 13, 2022

Del DowDell January 28, 1936 - January 12, 2022




 It's with a heavy heart that I report my father Del DowDell passed away about 4:00 pm yesterday, 1/12/2022. My father had many loves in his life, one of them was this blog and his work on the Book of Mormon, the other his family and wife. The many readers comments and support were cherished by my father. He had a stroke Sunday after a year and a half of poor health. His mind has always been strong, but his body was just not up to the task. Tuesday with the help of his wife, he called up all his seven kids to tell them he loved them. After the calls to his kids he told my Mother he loved her dearly. In the call he made to me on Tuesday, I asked my Dad if he wrote a blog today, he said "I don't think I'll be writing anymore blogs".  I knew at that time Dad would not be around much longer. My two brothers and I were able to go down to St. George and give him a blessing and release him from this life. Two hours later Dad took his last breath and made his journey to be with his hero's on the other side. 

My Dad in his youth was a very good Baseball player. He loved Baseball and taught us kids life through Baseball analogies. As a young kid in the late 80's, I remember my Dad telling a favorite baseball joke.

Two old men had been best friends for years, and they both live to their early 80's, when one of them suddenly falls deathly ill. His friend comes to visit him on his deathbed, and they're reminiscing about their long friendship. The friend says, "Listen, when you die, do me a favor. I want to know if there's baseball in heaven."

The dying man responds, "We've been friends for a lifetime, so yes, I'll do this for you." And then he dies.

A few days later, the surviving friend is sleeping, when he hears his friend's voice.

"I've got some good news and some bad news," it says. "The good news is: there's baseball in heaven."

"What's the bad news?"

"You're pitching on Wednesday."

Dad was called up to Pitch in heaven this Wednesday. I love him, a son couldn't of asked for a better father.  I can't help but think the lord needed my Dad on the other side to help with what's coming in the future. I'll miss you Dad, I love you!

6 comments:

  1. My sincere condolences. He will be greatly missed by me and others that followed his writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences, he was the most informed person in the Church today as to the place where the book of Mormon took place. He was a fine scholar and will be greatly missed. I followed his blog every single day for many years. He was a real treasure. Rest in Peace my dear friend. Ira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sincere Condolences! Truly!
    He is brilliant, very detailed, backs up his research, and explains things very clearly. He will be sorely missed.
    I was ecstatic when I found this site as it reinforced what I had found out on my own, and I have learned so much from his research.
    God Bless your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. Del we will all miss you, your writings and knowledge.
    Now Del has a completed puzzle of all the migrations of all the people of earth.
    Thank you for a decade of teaching me.

    JRA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Del helped me to find a new passion for the words and teachings of the Book of Mormon and instilled in me a passion for the Andes. We're few, those of us who see South America as Del did, but we'll try our best to keep studying, learning, exploring, and moving forward.

    On the bright side, I'm sure he's having a great time right now. His study resources just got immeasurably larger.

    ReplyDelete